Tuesday, June 4, 2013

May 21 - A Mostly Boring Day



The one drag about the Washington Inn was that it didn't include breakfast. I did get a couple discount coupons for nearby restaurants, though. The one next door wasn't open for some reason, but another across the street advertised a buffet. Perfect, I thought.

Trouble is, in the off-season, they don't have enough traffic to support a good buffet. They only had two bread products, and both were stale. Normally I make sure to eat all I take, but normally the offerings are edible. Their idea of a corn muffin was much more like a rock. Their bacon was decent, but the eggs had a processed taste. On top of all this, juice cost extra, so the total was almost $10. I pocketed a small box of Mini-Wheats to get a bit more value for my money.

Before pulling out, I used the hotel's internet again, from the car. I finally managed to activate my SiriusXM account! I thought I had before leaving Maryland, but then it didn't work. Then I had trouble with the logistics. You have to have the radio powered up (i.e., keys in the ignition) while you're online. It's a bit tricky.

Since I was in the area, and had time, I decided to check out Jewel Cave National Park. This meant backtracking a bit, but that turned out to be a good thing. I found a spot on the road past Mt. Rushmore where you can pull off and look at George Washington's profile. That was an unexpected bonus.

Another unexpected bonus was that the route to the cave went through Custer again, and this time the Pie Place was open! (Yes, I'm obsessive about pastry.) I popped in and got a slice of blueberry for later.

Once again, my Parks pass was useless. Entering is free, but the cave tours cost money. Sigh. This time I wasn't as lucky, and had to wait most of an hour for the next tour. So I shuffled around the visitor's center, which had some interesting exhibits. 

They have samples of some of the formations found in Jewel Cave, some of which don't appear in the areas accessible to tours. I also looked over the guest book, and found an odd notation. A family that had come in shortly before me mentioned that they couldn't get on a tour, and were "very disappointed". Did they not know that there were multiple tours every day? Or did they object to waiting less than an hour? Very strange.

The tour was quite interesting, and there were quite a few large rooms to view. The passageways were also more generously sized, and the stairs were nice and even. Jewel Cave also has boxwork formations and like Wind Cave, hasn't been fully explored. The two are less than 40 miles apart, and are both estimated to be extremely long. I wouldn't be surprised at all if someday they are found to be connected.

After leaving Jewel Cave, I needed to get back onto I-90 and head further west. Looking at the map, I saw that I could take US 16 west to reach it, instead of backtracking through Rapid City. It meant missing Bear Country USA, but seemed like a better option.

I was mistaken. With the single excepting of an abandoned tourist trap, this section of Wyoming turned out to be extremely boring. The landscape is monotonous scrubland, interrupted only by identical herds of cattle. Even when you're driving at 70 or 75 MPH, it feels as if you're hardly moving. It's like one of those bad dreams where you're running down a hallway that keeps getting longer and longer for no good reason. Combine this with my general dislike of sitting still, and it's a recipe for extreme crabbiness.

It was at this point that I screwed up, and missed my chance to see Devil's Tower. To get there, I should have gone past the ramp for I-90, and stayed on US Highway 16. But I was desperate to escape the tedium, and jumped onto the interstate. By the time I realized my error, backtracking would have added something like 120 miles to the day's drive. So I kept going.

Turns out, Wyoming isn't big on rest areas, or providing tourist information. I never did find any. At one point, I saw signs for such, but they petered out at a gas station parking lot. Possibly, it was inside the station, but I was too annoyed to risk wasting time to check. So I kept going.

Eventually, I reached Sheridan, my destination for the evening. All I could see after exiting the interstate was suburban sprawl and traffic. I think I found the tourist area that's supposed to be Old Town or some such, but it didn't look much different. I didn't see any motels that looked appealing, or any place to pull off and check the AAA book. I have no interest in cowboy mythology anyway. I floated through town on the currents of traffic, and after awhile was back to I-90. So I kept going.

About this time, my gas tank was running a bit low, by western standards. The thing is, a quarter tank back East is quite sufficient to get you to a dozen gas stations. In parts of the West, they are few and far between. My first attempt was in a nameless bit of nowhere, where I got off the interstate after seeing a sign for a non-chain gas station. It turned out to have a couple of decrepit looking pumps at the far end of a vast field of cratered asphalt. I feared for both the car's undercarriage and the cleanliness of my fuel line. So I kept going.

After awhile, I spotted a Conoco station connected to the Custer Battlefield Museum in Garryowen. By this time of day, the museum would be closed, but surely a large chain would provide pay-at-the-pump service after hours. Wrong! "Card reader not available. See Attendant." Trouble was, the place was deserted. At least there was no one to complain about me using their spot-a-pot without purchase. So I kept going.

Outside Hardin, Montana, I see an Exxon, with other customers and its interior lights blazing. The first pump I approach has no nozzle, though the hose is tied into an appealing wreath shape. At this point, I would say that I circling around several times, but dodging the enormous ruts and potholes didn't allow for such a tidy shape. While tracing out a double helix, I mostly find hand-lettered signs reading "Not in service" or "Sorry out". The few operating pumps have only Premium. Eventually, another customer vacates a Regular pump, and pothole-dodges their way home. My paranoia has kicked in by now, and I don't feel comfortable using a payment card. I hand a twenty to the cashier, and ask for a receipt. Good thing I didn't try to fill up. The pump doesn't look ancient, but works extremely slowly. It took about 10 minutes to pump 8 gallons. Filling the tank would've taken an hour.

Having found a potty and filled my tank, I was able to return my thoughts to the evening's lodgings. Surely a city the size of Billings will have a good selection of motels, I thought. Once again, I was mistaken. At any rate, there are few visible from the interstate. The first one I pulled into, a Holiday Inn Express wanted $129. So I kept going.

I saw a billboard for a Best Western, and thought "They're usually reasonable". Once again, I was mistaken. After following multiple signs over several miles, I found myself downtown. Only when you reach the place does their sign inform you that it's a Best Western "Plus". Uh-oh. Sure enough, they wanted $159. So I kept going.

Driving through the city – which isn't easy, thanks to the number of one-way streets – I spotted several signs for motels. Each time, when I got closer, I saw weekly and monthly rates offered. That's never a good sign. Sure enough each one looked pretty seedy, and the area looked too creepy to leave my car unattended. The one possibly exception was one that I passed on the way to the Best Western, but could never find my way back to on the weird grid of one way streets.

Trying to find my way back to I-90, I saw a couple of motels that looked decent, but both were booked. It seems that Billings doesn't have much selection of mid-priced hotels. Odds are, you'll either pay through the nose, or risk finding a bag of severed heads under your bed. So I kept going.

At this point, I was becoming rather concerned. Billings was the last major city for miles. Back East, you find motels frequently  along major interstates, especially where they meet other major roads. That's not the case out here, however. I was already tired, it was almost 10 PM, and the nearest tourist area was a hundred miles away. Also, I hadn't eaten dinner.

At the same time, I wondered where all the truck drivers go. I know they don't spend $129 a night, and the seedy-looking places were too small to park a semi.

Then I spotted a sign for Laurel, Montana. It's less than 10 miles outside of Billings. Mercifully, it had several mid-range hotels. I ended up at the Locomotive Inn, which was located next to a huge refinery. Turns out, Laurel has been a railroad and driving hub for more than a century. It seems to be the place where many tired travelers have found refuge. So I became one of them.

I didn't even try to find an open restaurant, but just ate a cheese sandwich & munchies from my provisions. Once again, no one gave me crap about using the pool/spa after closing time. Afterward, I found a funny episode of American Dad on TV. And I had my pie for dessert. (Surprisingly, PBR pairs well with blueberry pie.) So it turned out to be a decent night after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment