Friday, May 17, 2013

A Day in the Dells



This is my second trip to the Dells, so I know exactly what I want to do. After French toast at Mitzi's American Grill – conveniently across the street – I head into town to arrange a ride on the Upper Dells boat tour. I also pop into the market for a prefab sandwich for lunch, and some local beer. Turns out, the New Glarus brewery makes a very tasty India Pale Ale. The sandwich sucks. It's mostly bread, with no condiments and hardly any meat or cheese.at least it helps atone for my recent gluttony of two consecutive restaurant meals..

The boat tour is as fun as I remembered. The trees and rock formations are way cool. Our guide tells us that Chimney Rocks reminds him of either a stack of pancakes or a stack of hambugers, depending on the time of day.



We also get two landings. One includes one of my all-time favorite tourist moments. H.H. Bennett, a local photographer, was the inventor of the instantaneous shutter.  For the first time, movement could be captured on film. He proved this by photographing his son jumping onto Stand Rock. It's one of the iconic images of photography history. Today this shot is re-enacted by dogs.

The motel stay included a pass to one of the area's indoor waterparks, one of the major Things To Do in the area. One the park's website, it seems that most of their water rides involve sliding through enclosed tubes. This is NOT appealing to claustrophobes! Besides, the main point of the layover was to rest a bit. As much as I hate to pass up anything free, I just can't work up any enthusiasm. I decide that the motel pool will be quite sufficient entertainment for my current energy level.

Afterward, I wander around in search of dinner. Lacking inspiration, I grab a prefab sub from the gas station's deli. Later, I eat it on the motel patio, while basking in the warm sunshine and listening to birdsong. Surprisingly, the sub is delicious, and I decide to get another for tomorrow's lunch.

Not the trendiest place for dinner, but the price was right.
After another swim/soak, I head to bed early. This stopover was just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment