Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Port in a Storm



Breakfast is included at a Super 8, so the day started with a Belgian waffle. While eating, I perused the event listings offered by the Luverne CVB (apparently, there is such a thing). Alas, I wouldn't be in town for the 4-H seminar on "Livestock Quality and Ethics". Most of the events were church suppers. I never knew they were edible.

I decided I wanted to see Blue Mounds State Park, even if I couldn't camp there. Their signature bison herd was off in the distance, but the scenery was quite pretty. I didn't have time for a full hike, but did a sort of survey course. The three major trails paralleled each other, and had connections, so I was able to sample them all. The Mounds Trail gave a view of the bison. The Upper Cliffline Trail gives you a view of the farms adjoining the park, and the Lower Cliffline Trail shows off the pretty pink cliffs. 

At one point, a big red-tailed hawk took off from the cliffs, and soared over my head. After it flew away, I could hear it screeching in the distance.

After finding my way back to I-90 (more of a challenge than expected, but I got a look at the countryside), I headed off toward South Dakota. By the time I reached Mitchell, I was ready for a break. The Corn Palace is free, and has nice clean bathrooms. Basically, it's a smalll arena for concerts etc. It features murals made from different types of corn. It's a classic South Dakota landmark, so you pretty much have to stop.

Then back on the road, the endless road. It's pretty boring through this section. There's not much to look at, and identifying roadkill gets dull after awhile. As I drive, I can't resist looking South frequently, where thunderheads are gathering. And thickening. And darkening. And pulsating with lightening. It's not looking good for camping.

Then the wind picked up alarmingly. Right about then I approached the exit for Kadota, and saw a Rodeway Inn. Then had a single for just under $50, including breakfast. Their buildings looked sturdy, too.

At this point, I wanted to call John, which turned out to be a production. My cell service disappeared outside of Sioux Falls, and I'd neglected to get a calling card. I couldn't make an outgoing call without one. When I asked at the front desk where I could find a pay phone, he let me use theirs. I quickly gave John their number, and asked him to call me back in my room. I'm starting to feel lonely, so I really wanted to connect. And since he doesn't have email access on weekends, I needed to update him on where I was.

Eventually I got hungry, and walked across the road to the Club 27 Steakhouse. Even though the place was full of locals – some were part of a wedding party - and I was by myself, I was never made to feel out of place. I have feeling they'd have let me join the festivities if I'd felt like it. (I was too tired to remember my own name, much less ask anyone else theirs.)

I decided to splurge on a steak, since beef is what's for dinner. It was one of the best I've ever had - very lean and tender, cooked just right. The baked potato was a bit dry, and the "salad bar" had only 5 or 6 offerings, mostly involving mayo and/or iceberg lettuce. Of course, for a place that's kind of a bar off of a highway, that's as close to health food as I expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment